Monday, February 15, 2016

I Kill The Mockingbird

I Kill the MockingbirdI Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summer is a time for freedom and fun and reading. Reading?! Yes, reading those summer reading lists! Lucy, Elena and Michael are eyeballing their summer reading list when they discover what's on it, but Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Lucy is excited considering it's her favorite book, but the other two don't think many will read it. Their old teacher, Mr. Nowack (a.k.a. Fat Bob), would have made To Kill A Mockingbird the entire list and the kids would have read it for him, but he passed away from a heart attack. The kids decide that they're going to make everyone read To Kill A Mockingbird as a way to remember Mr. Nowak. Lucy believes that people always want what they can't have so when copies go missing from store shelves, To Kill A Mockingbird becomes the hot item of the summer. In fact, it begins to take on a life of it's own.

I really liked I Kill The Mockingbird by Paul Acampora. It was light-hearted, fun and reminded me of something I would have done with my friends as a teen. I love that the teens were well read and intelligent. You don't see many teens today reading classics or arguing about them in a book store. The characters were very believable and just very likable too. As I sit watching snow fall, I Kill The Mockingbird makes me really want summer...and a beach...my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. The funny thing is, I don't think Lucy, Elena and Michael's project truly ended. I think this story will continue to make people read To Kill A Mockingbird. Clever!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment