Sunday, August 7, 2016

Hello Harry.

Well, it's here.


Let me first say, I LOVE Harry Potter. It is the ONLY book that I have EVER waited on the front step of my house for. The Harry Potter books have been like some strange drug that took over my mind and I lived, ate, slept and breathed everything Hogwarts. 

Funny story, I originally got the Sorcerer's Stone some time after it came out. I believe The Prisoner of Azkaban was due to be out when I picked up my first Harry book. I had been hearing SO much about these books that I crumbled and grabbed a paperback. I was so embarrassed buying a "children's book". Up until then, all I read were romances (*please don't groan*). They were historical romances and weren't that bad. Anyway, I read the Sorcerer's Stone in a day and was back at the bookstore for another fix and didn't care that they knew that I was the one the book was bought for!!! I needed it and came to a huge, brick wall when I realized that the 3rd was not out yet. So I did what I could...I replaced both of my paperbacks with hard covers and put in an order for The Prisoner  of Azkaban and waited patiently...okay fine! I waited.

With that being said, I made my peace with Harry in the last book. I'm not sure I'm ready to open up that door again. I'm not sure if this book is good enough to go back to Hogwarts for. I don't have a copy and I haven't read anything but reviews and they are very mixed.

First, J. K. Rowling didn't write it. It clearly states on the cover..."based on an original new story by J. K. Rowling". Right there you know it's going to be different. Different isn't always bad so given it a chance! Second, it's a play. Plays aren't bad, but they can be difficult to read and they can leave out a lot of detail that really brings in readers. I'm not sure if I'll get a copy of this one. Maybe I will, just to have it, but I'm not sure if I'd call this number 8.

To J. K. Rowling,
Harry needs to live his own life and we all made our peace at the end of Deathly Hallows. It was an emotional moment for me. I cried. I laughed. I did all of this in a car on the way to Myrtle Beach, SC. The kids and my husband thought I was a lunatic. I didn't care. I think I can speak for the other Harry fans though when I say, we LOVE the magical world you have created. Although Harry's story may have ended, maybe there are other stories waiting to be told. Maybe about other characters or another newbie. We're ready for a new adventure as soon as you are ready to write it!

Love, T

No comments:

Post a Comment